10.06.2006

MLB: Minny Linney's Boys (also known as the Twins)

I still have hope. My Twins have been down more often than not this season, and I still have hope that they'll pull it off and win the next three straight, starting this afternoon at Oakland. I mean, how like this season's Twins would it be for them to do just that? I don't count them out, but why did they have to make it hard on themselves?

How is it possible that the first time I got to see Santana pitch live and in person, he lost his first game since August 2005? I went to the Metrodome on Tuesday afternoon, and was extremely disappointed. No, not disappointed with Santana, but with my other beloved (and offensively-challenged) players. Where has the offense gone? Where is the Minnesota Magic? Apparently Joe Mauer sent the wrong bat to the Hall of Fame ("Mauer sends one of his bats to Hall of Fame" Star Tribune, October 2, 2006). Nick Punto's two amazing catches practically in two fans' laps (nearly identical in games 1 and 2 both in location on the field and his position in catching them) and Morneau's jaw-dropping double play (in game 2) aside, there have been too many mistakes on defense to mention (although everyone's talking Torii, there was also the Bartlett bobble of game 1; the botch by Boof Bonser in game 2 where he tried to pick up a ball with his glove - but i suppose he'd just been drilled by the hit and still managed to get an out at first, so maybe I can forgive that one; and even Cuddyer, who apparently also had a case of greased-hand-itis out in right field during game 2).

All I want is another situation just like Twins v. A's in 2002. I want Cuddyer to say another really funny quote, just like the last time. Immediately after their 2002 Game 5 playoff win against the A's, Cuddy was the first to hug Guardado (former pitcher), and "all of a sudden I'm on the bottom of the pile," Cuddyer said, "face to face with Eddie, and we can't move, and I'm trying not to kiss him."

No comments: