MANHATTAN BEACH, MINN. - By a meager three votes, a write-in candidate in this town defeated the mayor in Tuesday's election. But that's not the strange part: Mayor-elect Paul Allen wasn't trying to get elected. He didn't even know there was a chance it would happen. A secret campaign helped him get 21 write-in votes, topping the 18 for incumbent Frederick Gridley. The town, about 25 miles north of Brainerd, has a population of 62 people -- 56 are registered to vote. "I couldn't have dreamed I would be elected. I guess their secret mission was accomplished. I couldn't believe it. There were enough voters in the city who wanted a change," said Allen, who ran for mayor two years ago but lost. His wife, Janis, knew about the push to elect him as mayor, but she didn't let on, he said. The narrow margin gives Gridley the option to request a recount. As of Thursday, he had not. Allen said he will accept the position. "I am afraid I'll have to," he said with a laugh. "They made such an effort, I guess I'll have to oblige."
ASSOCIATED PRESSI didn't even realize there was a Manhattan Beach in Minnesota...
11.11.2006
Most people settle for parties when it comes to surprises
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment