Sometimes I like things that confuse a person's senses. For instance, I love how peach candles smell like they taste good - the candles should be candy and you should be able to eat them.
But some things that confound a person's senses I'm still unsure of. I mean, do we go too far? I recently purchased some lotion with cocoa and shea butter in it; it smells like hot chocolate, and I'm not altogether sure that's a good thing - especially when confronted with the mental image of licking your own forearm after application to see if it tastes like it smells...
And then there's the whole fusion/postmodern cuisine/molecular gastronomy thing in eating. You take all sorts of food elements, completely change those elements up [and sadly, the only word I can think of besides "change it up" here is "recodify," which just goes to show I'm far too long at work these days..."Why, yes. You must recodify that food element in Minnesota Statute..."], infuse it with some other stuff, and then bake it or shape it into something else, so that looking at it and tasting it are completely different experiences: your eye "deceives" you, and the taste is not what you'd expect. I am not sure if I like this whole concept At All. I believe I will have to eat my way through a lot more of the cuisine form to determine my opinion of it, but at first glance: it's weird.
But some things that confound a person's senses I'm still unsure of. I mean, do we go too far? I recently purchased some lotion with cocoa and shea butter in it; it smells like hot chocolate, and I'm not altogether sure that's a good thing - especially when confronted with the mental image of licking your own forearm after application to see if it tastes like it smells...
And then there's the whole fusion/postmodern cuisine/molecular gastronomy thing in eating. You take all sorts of food elements, completely change those elements up [and sadly, the only word I can think of besides "change it up" here is "recodify," which just goes to show I'm far too long at work these days..."Why, yes. You must recodify that food element in Minnesota Statute..."], infuse it with some other stuff, and then bake it or shape it into something else, so that looking at it and tasting it are completely different experiences: your eye "deceives" you, and the taste is not what you'd expect. I am not sure if I like this whole concept At All. I believe I will have to eat my way through a lot more of the cuisine form to determine my opinion of it, but at first glance: it's weird.

No comments:
Post a Comment