Dear Internet,
Have you ever noticed how people are so frequently signing their valedictions with "best"? "Best" what? This really annoys me. Best regards? Best hatred? Best love? Best sincerity? Best in show? Out with it already! It's completely passive-agressive because it shows an inherent laziness, disrespect, or lack of mental decisiveness on the part of the author, and it can then be interpreted by the reader any way the reader so desires, which may or may not be what the author intended.
Well, from here on out, I am declaring that I will be reading a closing comment of the milquetoast "Best" to mean "Best of luck figuring out the tone of what I've just written to you, but you may feel free to read into my words an incompetent malaise or a sneeringly obscene gesture or somesuch nonsense."
With utmost sincerity,
Minny LinnEy
Have you ever noticed how people are so frequently signing their valedictions with "best"? "Best" what? This really annoys me. Best regards? Best hatred? Best love? Best sincerity? Best in show? Out with it already! It's completely passive-agressive because it shows an inherent laziness, disrespect, or lack of mental decisiveness on the part of the author, and it can then be interpreted by the reader any way the reader so desires, which may or may not be what the author intended.
Well, from here on out, I am declaring that I will be reading a closing comment of the milquetoast "Best" to mean "Best of luck figuring out the tone of what I've just written to you, but you may feel free to read into my words an incompetent malaise or a sneeringly obscene gesture or somesuch nonsense."
With utmost sincerity,
Minny LinnEy

No comments:
Post a Comment