I don't even know what to say: a British company keeps charts for top funeral songs. Who knew? Here is the company's press release. It is not surprising that hymns are down (sadly), and it's not surprising that pop music is now being played at funerals.
What is surprising are some of the choices, namely Adele's Someone Like You. Have the people who've chosen these songs to be played at a funeral ever actually heard or read the lyrics? I suppose people are focused on the lines, "I wish nothing but the best for you, too, Don't forget me, I beg," and even the stanza, "You know how the time flies, Only yesterday was the time of our lives, We were born and raised in a summer haze, Bound by the surprise of our glory days." But surely they must not be focused so much on the fact that it's a song about someone who's moved on to another woman. "I heard that your dreams came true" doesn't seem like the nicest sentiment at a funeral - um, glad your dream of dying happened? Not sure what to say to that one.
Also, why would you have TV theme music played at your funeral? That is also surprising. Oh, I suppose Last of the Summer Wine (it is Britain, after all) and something from Six Feet Under tickles the fancy, and it's even kind of fitting to have the Muppets singing "It's time to face the music..." But. Really?
For more, uh, enjoyment? check out the company's chart webpage, and pay particular attention to the section on "Quirky Choices - a selection" for good measure.

No comments:
Post a Comment