...the word "else" become optional?
As my 6th grade grammar book says (which I still use on occasion), "When comparing a person with a group of which that person is a member, use other or else with the comparative." For example, "Jan types faster than any student in her class." Incorrect - Jan is a member of her class. She cannot type faster than herself. Please stop annoying me by correctly using the words "else" and "other," please.
...the word "less" become an acceptable substitution for the word "fewer"? Back to the grammar book: "Use fewer with items that can be counted; use less with a quantity of substance."
It drives me crazy to see a professional ad campaign using the word "less" when "fewer" is the grammatically correct word. (P.S. Gatorade Ad People, if you are reading this, it should be "fewer calories" 'cause you can count them. You don't have to count calories, but you can. I will probably be drinking less G2 until you make fewer mistakes with your grammar...and even then, I don't drink low-calorie products anyway.)
(Also, Gatorade Ad People, I understand that not everyone is going to use correct grammar all the time - including me. However, I would like to think that when use of words is a major part of your job, and your work product will be seen by millions, you would consult someone who can speak English properly or maybe a 6th grade grammar book.)
As my 6th grade grammar book says (which I still use on occasion), "When comparing a person with a group of which that person is a member, use other or else with the comparative." For example, "Jan types faster than any student in her class." Incorrect - Jan is a member of her class. She cannot type faster than herself. Please stop annoying me by correctly using the words "else" and "other," please.
...the word "less" become an acceptable substitution for the word "fewer"? Back to the grammar book: "Use fewer with items that can be counted; use less with a quantity of substance."
It drives me crazy to see a professional ad campaign using the word "less" when "fewer" is the grammatically correct word. (P.S. Gatorade Ad People, if you are reading this, it should be "fewer calories" 'cause you can count them. You don't have to count calories, but you can. I will probably be drinking less G2 until you make fewer mistakes with your grammar...and even then, I don't drink low-calorie products anyway.)
(Also, Gatorade Ad People, I understand that not everyone is going to use correct grammar all the time - including me. However, I would like to think that when use of words is a major part of your job, and your work product will be seen by millions, you would consult someone who can speak English properly or maybe a 6th grade grammar book.)

No comments:
Post a Comment