Internet, where do I even begin? A couple weeks ago, I drove out to St. Catharines, ON, with friends M & J for the 2010 FISA World Masters regatta, a four-day event for old people. (I'm an old person! Yay!)
Driving out there involved pulling the boats:
And stopping by a boat builder to tour his shop:
While at the regatta, I met new friends:So a couple Aussies, a Brit, a Canadian and some Americans walk into a pub...is my life really the start of a bad joke? (Kidding, kidding) At the Kilt & Clover for poutine with some friends - new and old - including the older Australian gentleman next to me in this picture, who I now would like to adopt me...
And saw a lot of boats and teams from around the world:
On Day 3 of racing (Saturday), they had to cancel the afternoon's events because of windy conditions. I think the first sign that they would "arrest" (yes, that's the word they used) racing for the remainder of the day was when all the refs headed to the beer tent:
And after it was all done, celebrated the pretty boats and collected souvenirs:
Pretty boats in this picture = Kaschpers
Souvenir = Official jersey with all 2500 competitors' names on the back - see those wavy blue lines? My name is in there in really, really, teeny-tiny print.
So, Internet, that's one explanation of where I've been the last month or so. I was gone for just over a week for this trip. Parts of it felt like they lasted forever (waiting to start the races, for instance), and other parts went by quickly (especially the three or four hours I spent in the hotel swimming pool throughout the week). Although I didn't win anything, I am happy with how I rowed and finished in each of my races. But the part I really liked? I enjoyed meeting so many different people from all over the world who share a common love for all things rowing. It was a great trip.

No comments:
Post a Comment