12.24.2010

Merry Christmas!

Sing we now of Christmas,
Noel sing we here.
Hear our grateful praises
To the Babe so dear.

Sing we Noel!
The King is born, Noel!
Sing we now of Christmas
Sing we here, Noel!

Angels called to shepherds,
"Leave your flocks at rest;
Journey forth to Bethl’hem
Find the Lamb-kin blest."

Sing we Noel!
The King is born, Noel!
Sing we now of Christmas
Sing we here, Noel!

In the stall they found Him;
Joseph and Mary mild
Seated ‘round the manger,
Watching the holy Child.

Sing we Noel!
The King is born, Noel!
Sing we now of Christmas
Sing we here, Noel!

From the eastern kingdoms
Came the wise men far,
Bearing ancient treasure,
Following yonder star.

Sing we Noel!
The King is born, Noel!
Sing we now of Christmas
Sing we here, Noel!

Gold and myrrh they took there,
Gifts of greatest price;
There was ne’er a stable
So like paradise.

Sing we Noel!
The King is born, Noel!
Sing we now of Christmas
Sing we here, Noel!

From the distant mountains
Hear the trumpet sound,
With angelic blessings
On the silent town.

Sing we Noel!
The King is born, Noel!
Sing we now of Christmas
Sing we here, Noel!

Come let us surround him
On this magic night;
Gather here around him,
Wondrous Babe of light.

Sing we Noel!
The King is born, Noel!
Sing we now of Christmas
Sing we here, Noel!


In this YouTube clip, although the song is called "Now the Green Blade Riseth," an Easter hymn that I also love, the tune is the same as "Sing We Now of Christmas." And once I saw Luther College perform the same arrangement on a PBS special from 2008 as "Sing We Now of Christmas," I've become obsessed with handbell choirs playing this piece.

Tune & Lyrics: Noel Nouvelet, Traditional French Carol, 15th century
Lyrics Translation: Traditional English Carol, 17th-18th century

There are supposedly 13 verses to this carol; in the short time I've had to investigate, I've found seven of them. (And in the searching for all 13, I discovered - and now want - this book. And this one.)

I hope you all have a blessed Christmas in 2010! The King is born, Noel!

No comments: