4.21.2011

Comparisons: WWII

Internet,

I'm not sure if it was a really good idea or a really bad one, but on one of my days off of work this week I watched the entire Band of Brothers series. In some ways, bad idea: my life has consisted of work, work, stress, and more work the last few months, and maybe watching something that some might view as traumatic, stressful and (at times) depressing was not the way to go. In many ways, good idea: I love the history of WWII, and eat this stuff up. Further, I'd never seen it and wanted to watch it all back-to-back to get the full experience out of it. Finally, after watching it, just about anyone's life would look pretty darn good and easy.

So, on a cold day in April that involved more snow (and therefore, I had no desire to go outside), I sat down and watched it all. All six discs. One day. I watched all 10 episodes, and went through all the special features. And you know something? I really can't complain. I learned a lot, it was a great series, and my life seems pretty darn easy right now.

xoxo,
Minny LinnEy

p.s. Moving on to Alan Furst's Dark Star, though? Now that might be taking it too far. The Russians with their black souls and fatalism in the late 1930s and during WWII is possibly too much. Maybe I shouldn't have read the first hundred pages the very next day after watching Band of Brothers. And yet, I still think I have it pretty good, and I really can't complain.

No comments: