10.31.2005

Haunting Memories?

Well, not really haunted memories. More like nostalgic - when times were more innocent and you were a clueless little urchin. Ah, to be a kid again and go trick-or-treating or to a good old-fashioned Harvest Party (at either church or the private Christian school, of course, where Harvest Parties reign). The last time, one of the only times, I went trick-or-treating was when I turned 11. What fond memories I have of being a farmer pig (don't ask me what prompted that costume 'cause i have no memories of the "why" part of that equation; although it could have been we had a pig mask handy, but i don't know the "why" of that part, either) and going out around my grandparents' neighborhood in St. Paul. Why I was at my grandparents' place really isn't of importance for this story, but the fact that it snowed three feet on Halloween and left some out-of-state relatives stranded there with us was of great importance. When it's cold and snowy here on October 31st, one must be creative in costuming so as not to freeze to death even if you're only going around the block. And no one wants to put a jacket on over a costume! So you learn to figure out ways to put the jacket on underneath or incorporate it into the costume, but with three feet of snow, you'll inevitably be stuck with boots, no matter who or what you're trying to be. I'm sure it was an oddity in the neighborhood to have a nearly six-foot (I couldn't have been fully grown at 11, but I'm sure it was getting close), skinny white girl parading around in a pink pig costume, complete with straw hat and sorrells. (A picture exists that I won't be scanning in for your viewing pleasure. Use your imagination.)

But it was fun.

It was great having all my cousins at my grandparents' house, playing in the snowy blizzard and eating an alarming number of bits'o'honey (which is the only thing i remember collecting in my candy bag). In general, I'm sure we drove all surrounding adults crazy, but that's half the point of being a kid, right? Halloween didn't mean anything evil so much as it meant candy, occasionally dressing up, and playing with friends &/or family. A more innocent time in my life, I guess.

Do any of you have good Halloween or Fall Harvest Party memories from your childhoods? This year it's not going to snow (so they say), but I'm sure there'll be plenty of moonboots and pirate boots in light of recent entertainment industry developments.

I know that for many, Halloween is more serious than I'm making it out to be. It's a time to reflect on what you believe as a Christian, and how you want to present yourself to society as such. Other than my candy corn and light-hearted commentary the last couple of weeks, never fear - now that the times are not so innocent, I shan't be going to any evil parties in my moon or pirate boots (though I still enjoy gnoshing on candy and dressing up in imaginative costumes - but who needs Halloween for that?). Although i really have to blame that on something else entirely rather than any personal decision on my own part. Several commercialized holidays in 2005 have fallen on Mondays, and that means that i am too busy with orchestra rehearsals to pay mind. Both Valentine's Day and Halloween have fallen prey to the busy Monday evening orchestra rehearsal this year. Not that I care. The only thing about which I have to complain is that my local grocer ran out of bulk candy corn - so when I went there today to gather more into my tightly-fisted clutches, there was none to be had. Oh, the sorrow. I shall have to hie me somewhere else in the coming hours and days to scrounge for some more of the precious commodity before I forget about it completely with thoughts of pumpkin pie and Thanksgiving.

No comments: