Now, hear me out. I know that the idea I'm going to put forth hereafter is revolutionary and might put some people off. However, I only ask that you read and ponder the concept before slamming it.
I think that, contrary to all mothers' advice, it is productive to jump in piles of leaves. *gasp* I know, I know. This may be difficult for some to comprehend. Yesterday I had the privilege of raking up some leaves in the weak rays of late afternoon sun, and while I was doing that (& mourning the loss of all red leaves from the sugar maple tree in the yard) I realized that you have to crush all the leaves to get as many of them as possible into each bag. Therefore, why would it be counterproductive to jump in the leaves? Sure, you might mess them up a bit, but you'll be crushing them as you go! Then you wouldn't have to spend nearly so much time crushing and crunching them down into the bag. And it'd be so much more fun! I only wish I'd realized this years ago. (Each year I wait for the wind to just blow the leaves away, and each year I am disappointed. I have yet to realize much about leaves, so this epiphany is timely.) After you rake them into a great big pile, you just sort of scoop and shove 'em into the bags anyway, so now you'll just be scooping and shoving defeated leaves that have already been crushed.
I'm all for this. However, I'm just about done with my contribution of leaf-raking this year, and how likely is it that I'll remember this next year? Well, consider my track record with the wind theory. Yup. Slim to none.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey Linnea! I'm envious that you have leaves to rake ... and contemplate jumping in! Friends in VA once gasped in disbelief that I had never jumped in a pile of leaves as a kid. I had a strange childhood growing up in So. Cal. :-/
Well, at least you can hope that the reverse wind theory won't happen. There was one year that I had already picked up all of the leaves from our yard only to have the neighbor's leaves blow INTO our yard after I was done. So I got to rake leaves TWICE. Not cool.
Post a Comment