During the interim, Senate employees can wear business casual. So to make up for the suit that I'm required to wear today, I'm wearing killer shoes. Killer = they look great, but they'll kill me by the end of the day.
Yes, yes. We're going into special session at 5p today in the Minnesota Legislature. Our purpose is a flood relief package for SE Minnesota - and possibly a little something to do with a certain bridge in Minneapolis (but mainly the flood relief). What drives me nuts is that people are clamoring for this special session to be done right now. In the past (1997 and 2002 being the most recent years we've had special sessions to deal with flood relief), there has generally been a several-month lag between the disaster itself and the special session. This year? 3 weeks. How do you really know more than guesstimates at this point? It's hard to put an exact dollar figure on something that's barely happened days ago... I do not mean to say that we do not need a flood relief package. Far from it. It does, however, irk me that if you sling enough bad words back and forth between parties/branches of government, you can push people to hurry. I don't like hurrying. For instance, it would be nice to have actual committee hearings on the issue of bonding for the projects that will need to be completed in the wake of the terrible flooding. I know, I know - I seem to be all for the bureaucracy of the government by suggesting more committee meetings. But I'm really not for that - I just would like to see this done right. I don't want to have to come back next session to re-do things.
My favorite quote I've read thus far from Gov. Tim Pawlenty is, "We anticipate crisp floor action." I must confess I'm curious what is meant by "crisp." Will it be crisp retorts flying back and forth between parties? Crisp quotes from everyone, all of them hoping to make it into the papers? Crisp meaning quick? I can only hope for the latter, as this will be running into the evening.

No comments:
Post a Comment