Call me crazy, but I heard this story on marriage on the ABC Evening News on Monday night: Community Marriage Policies May Lower Divorce Rates. I don't find the story itself crazy - I've heard of communities getting involved in marriages - making it not just a community thing, or a contract thing, but a covenant thing with religious leaders and other members of the community. This community now requires premarital counseling to help the couple prepare for marriage - not just the wedding day. Pastors and priests in the community have all agreed that they will no longer perform "quickie" weddings. And it doesn't end at the altar - churches have agreed to promote programs to help couples strengthen their marriages.
I just found ABC's coverage of it to be the interesting detail. It was fair and balanced, and since the whole story discusses a Christian approach to community and faith-based involvement in marriage, you could say I was more than a little surprised to hear it covered by a national broadcasting company's evening news. Am I that cynical? I think I am...

No comments:
Post a Comment