11.16.2007

Hello, Salmon.

What on earth possessed a parent in the 1800s to name his child Salmon?

Every once in a while I'm struck by the oddity of a person's name, and then wonder what his parents were thinking. People I know today have names their hippie parents gave them. Apparently fish were a big deal back then to Mr. and Mrs. Chase.

Apparently Salmon himself was a bigger deal back then, too - he has his picture on the U.S. $10,000 bill. He held multiple positions in government - including Secretary of the Treasury and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

4 comments:

"Nick" said...

I think it is Salmon as in the father of Boaz. Check out Matthew 1:4-5.

Still a weird name.

akalinear said...

you're totally right, Will. I was not thinking of it in that context at all, but that would make sense.

"Nick" said...

I'm the guy that can remember the stupid useless information contained in the genealogies, but can't remember what verse or chapter of what book some theological truth is contained.

Sigh...

So the real question is... how did you come across Mr. Salmon Chase, or "Fish Boy" as his friends called him...?

akalinear said...

we were having a discussion at work about large U.S. currencies and what was the largest ever made, and when it was last issued. yes, we talk about really important stuff here at the Senate. =)