4.23.2008

On Legalizing Pedal Pubs:

The day after one of my Senate committees discussed making this venture legal (and actually had one in front of the Capitol for committee and staff to gawk at; I love show and tell committees), a report has been released letting us know that Minnesota has the third worst record for drunk driving. I don't know if the pedal pub is a good idea or a bad one in light of this information...will it cut down on drunk driving? Probably not - it's not a cab service, and once your ride is over, you have to get home somehow.

Unfortunately, this report probably just lends credence to the idea that those people from the cold midwestern states must drink to make it through the winters (which is not entirely true - it may be for some, but on the whole, I doubt the state will start using that in an explore Minnesota advertising campaign; but I'm sure as a theory, it will get more circulation).

And although the thought of pedaling one of these pubs around the lakes might sound like a good idea, I'd imagine the demand for it might go down when it's 95 degrees with 95% humidity in the middle of July.

*By the by: my favorite part of the pedal pub advertising brochure is that it is touted as a "Wedding Carriage." It makes me laugh to think of a well-dressed wedding party cruising about on this thing. It then made me laugh harder to see on their liability waiver a check box to decline the offer of the free use of a helmet while riding the pedal pub. A joyous couple dangling off the bar stools, complete with wedding finery and helmets? Priceless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? July is great weather for baseball, beer and brats!