It may be a few days yet before the official start of summer, but last night was definitely feeling mid-summerish, what with perfect weather (low humidity, lots of sun, and it's finally starting to warm up around here) and a good play by Shakespeare at the Guthrie. Joe Dowling's interpretation of the classic tale is delightful: completely off the wall in costuming and genre, extremely well-acted, and, most important, hilarious. I haven't laughed so hard at a play since I went to see these guys in London do all of Shakespeare's 37 plays in 97 minutes. (I think the only difference in level of laughter is the Reduced Shakespeare Company packs the same number of laughs into 97 minutes that Dowling does in just over 3 hours of Midsummer.)
Midsummer Night's Dream is only at the Guthrie for a few more days, but if you get the chance, go see it. I highly recommend it.
Midsummer Night's Dream is only at the Guthrie for a few more days, but if you get the chance, go see it. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:
Ah, that was a fun night:) I remember it well... Especially the comedies mashup, because we all know Shakespeare was a form writer...
"The Comedy of Two Well Measured Gentlemen Lost in the Merry Wives of Venice on a Midsummer's Twelfth Night in Winter"
or
"Cymbeline Taming Pericles the Merchant in the Tempest of Love As Much As You Like It For Nothing"
Classic:D
Post a Comment