6.11.2008

Unacceptable Ways to Tell Your Lawyer He's Fired

I think the #1 reason is: Punch him in the face in the courtroom.

A quote from the story on Revelle Loving, the man who punched out his defense lawyer in between the verdict and sentencing for killing his ex-girlfriend (and mother of his child) and her new boyfriend:
"Attacks on defense attorneys are not common, but they do occur. Last month, the state Court of Appeals rejected an appeal for a new trial from a St. Louis County man who punched his defense lawyer repeatedly in the face. The court ruled the man gave up his right to counsel and he went on to unsuccessfully represent himself."
In this case, Loving's (seriously, that's his name? Loving?) lawyer, William Selman, continued to represent him through the end of sentencing, saying "I'm an ex-hockey player." I guess he can take his lumps. However, when Selman said, "We're disappointed in the jury's verdict. We respect their decision. We just disagree with the verdict," I don't know know how anyone could take him seriously.

I don't understand the mentality of these criminals, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by someone who had killed the mother of his child in cold blood thinking it would be a good idea to hit his own defense lawyer in a court house, or doing it without thinking of the consequences. That's probably what got them in trouble in the first place - insanely thinking they are above the law (I mean, seriously: check out this guy's mug shot - talk about a smirk), or just letting their rage take over.

Loving fired an AK-47 numerous times into the parked car where his ex and her new boyfriend were sitting, killing them (with his brother Ronelle Loving's help). And then he has the audacity to say to their four-year-old daughter through the court (since she's in foster care currently), "I love you and miss you. Sorry Daddy can't be with you. Sorry your mother can't be with you, but, you know, life goes on."

Life goes on? It would've gone on for the little girl's mother, too, if he hadn't killed her.

The story goes on to say Loving's ex-girlfriend planned to try to get a restraining order against him, who had twice been charged with assaulting her. But she was killed the day before her court appointment, the prosecutor said. I hate to say it, but even if she had gotten the restraining order, it probably would not have stopped him. Paper cannot stop guys like these.

No comments: