12.07.2007

Disturbing Diamonds

I recently came across the following website: LifeGem. These "LifeGems" are memorials created from a lock of hair or cremated remains.

"The LifeGem® is a certified, high-quality diamond created from the carbon of your loved one as a memorial to their unique life...as a symbol of your personal and precious bond. Like the memory of a loved one, a diamond lasts forever."
I find this concept highly disturbing for many reasons and thoughts, only one of which I'll mention here. Can you imagine being a woman and finding out your fiance didn't give you a real diamond, didn't even give you a fake diamond, but one made out of his dead mother?

2 comments:

"Nick" said...

To be fair, it would be a real diamond. A diamond is just super compressed carbon... It would probably be more perfect than a "real" diamond dug out of the earth actually... That's how you know if a diamond was dug up or created... the dug up one's have flaws.

But yes, it would be a bit creepy...

"Oh, yes, this is my grandmother here, and this one is my mom... and that's old aunt Bertha... there was enough carbon to make 45 carat!"

akalinear said...

Yeah, I know you're right - it would be real, but a created diamond, or even a diamond that's been heated to remove flaws doesn't = a real diamond to me. I know I may be alone in my thinking on that one.

I know that people like to have good memories of those loved ones who've gone before, but this is just weird.