2.26.2009

Shhh: Don't tell my hair stylist (and other strange things)

It all started this morning when I decided I didn't want to go work out because my back is killing me today. So I set the alarm for later, rolled over and went back to sleep. If I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have had weird dreams for an extra hour and a half, and probably wouldn't have taken a scissors to my hair this morning.

Just a little friendly advice: don't use two hair products together for the first time on a morning when you're already running a little late, and expect them to react well to each other (even if they are made by the same company). I got this huge snarl in my hair this morning when I did just that and then took a blow dryer to it. I worked and worked on that horrible little knot of hair, but could not get it out, so rather than rip it out from the end of my hair where I'd worked it down to, I just took a scissors to it. Snip, all better.

If I had ignored my back pain and gone to the club, I would not have had the new hair product available to me, and also I have no scissors there, so would have been forced to deal with any potential snarl in a different way.

This day is going to be very long, I can just tell.
__________

In other random news, I went to the grocery store last night, and was "accosted" (his word, not mine) by an older gentleman who apparently had a new lease on life and decided to tell everyone around him about it. I happened to be in line right behind him at the cash register, so he was informing me of his wonder at grocery stores with cheap food (Rainbow), and he was done with expensive stores (like Lunds) where they sell all the same food anyway. I felt like I was being interviewed by a "secret" Rainbow employee: "Why do you come here? Is it the prices? I just can't believe all this cheap food! That's why I come here." He then took a phone call while he was bagging his own groceries (after I directed him towards the paper bags with the handles he so preferred) and informed whomever it was he was speaking to that he was having the time of his life at the grocery store where they sell cheap food and was "accosting" people to get their opinions on the place. Granted, this was in Uptown, which is a bit crazy (okay, way crazy), but this was beyond anything I've ever experienced at an Uptown grocery store.
__________

Over the last few days at work, I've noticed someone has been calling me from California, but the caller has never left a message when I've failed to answer since I've not been in my office at the time of the calls. Until yesterday, that is.

I answered the phone by stating my name, only to be asked if I was the same person who used to work at the Topanga newspaper. No, I am not the same person.

I always thought my name is fairly uncommon, but though I figured someone out there would have it, I really have no idea how many people possess the same name, although I'm now getting a better idea since this is the second time in my life someone has called to speak with another woman with the same name who works/worked in a completely different field (the first was nursing, but at least that one was local; I'd expect more people in Minnesota to have my extremely Scandanavian name than someone in California, but maybe that's just me).
__________

In other work-related news, every office has one:

A guy with whom I work decided yesterday that the only way he can eat microwaved popcorn is if it shoots out flames first, it's cooked so well. Our office suite still reeks.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

1) I shop at ritzy grocery stores.
2) I can somehow relate to the guy at Rainbow although I cannot think of an example at this moment.
3) Orange juice pulp is NASTY.
4) My last 2 kitchen fires were because of popcorn. Augh it stunk!

akalinear said...

2 days later, and the break room STILL stinks. I refuse to use the microwave here, and yesterday went to find another one in which to cook my lunch.