8.09.2010

It's so hot and humid out, I am a white Scandahoovian with an afro.

Internet, I'm done with summer. These mid-90s? And high dew points? You can have them back. It's not like it's even super light out really early...we're getting to those days where the sun isn't up when rowing practice begins each day, and since that's about the only benefit I can see to summer right now, it's over.

(Although there is something to be said about door knocking and lit dropping through neighborhoods when you don't have snow banks to fight through...but there are more dogs outside, too, which is a whole 'nother issue.)
_____

After spending too much time getting my car's oil changed and pestering bankers on Friday, I babysat some twins on Friday night. Internet, a 2 1/2-year-old girl is smarter than I am. Whilst playing trains, she informed me what that "gray plastic thing" was - a trestle. And the 2 1/2-year-old boy? Is way sweeter than I ever was or hope to be.
_____

On Saturday, I sweltered it over to the Guthrie with friend K for more of our regularly-programmed season. This time it was Streetcar Named Desire. It was good, but less than I'd hoped for. The guy who played Stanley wasn't bad, but I just couldn't help but think throughout the entire play, "This guy lives on Wisteria Lane," which was odd. Usually when I see really great actors who are very famous for other roles, I can get past that, but not this time.

The woman starring as Blanche just didn't bring out the crazy enough. She had moments where I thought she played Blanche perfectly, but then at other times, I just didn't think she brought enough insanity to the part.

I love Stacia Rice, the actress playing Stella - she was really the outstanding performer in this production. Totally believable, hitting just the right amount of emotion and completely wonderful. I've seen her in other things before, but I think this was my favorite work she's done.

After the theater, K and I melted back over to the brand-new Haute Dish for dinner. And what a dinner it was. Everything sounds like classic comfort food, but it's haute cuisine. If you go, I recommend the peach soup (if it's on the menu - it's savory, not sweet, and involved bacon and blue cheese and delicious croutons), the Mac & Cheese (with crab!), the fried chicken (with compressed watermelon and pickled watermelon rind that tasted like cinnamon apples, a jalapeno and corn bread, and a cucumber-dill salad) and last but not least (no, no, no: it was the most awesome thing ever), the Tater Tot HauteDish (with its crispy outside and melty mashed potatoes oozing out, and braised short ribs that melt in your mouth). For dessert, I had a cocoa chocolate creme caramel dish, with awesome cocoa ice cream and malted caramel adorning a chocolate custard-like pudding that was to die for. K had brie cheesecake with lavendar and cherries. I recommend the place, a lot. Just don't expect to get out of there without having a heart attack and gaining a few pounds.
_____

Yesterday I'm pretty sure I sweated more between the car and church doors than in the previous week combined...only to top it off with walking in a parade in Red Wing. And then why not do a BBQ outside to end the weekend on Sunday night? 'Cause it was only 95 yesterday, so that's totally do-able. Right? Yeah, not so much. Dinner was fun, but we were all pretty happy when it got cloudy and some new front brought through a slight breeze with cooler temps.

And now it's back in the 90s, and not expected to get any cooler any time soon. I get heat stroke just thinking about it. Good thing I'm leaving on Thursday for a long weekend - do you think Canadia-land is far enough north?

No comments: