Internet,
Did you know that there is such a thing as a tuba concerto?! I didn't. Well, at least I didn't before our orchestra started rehearsing it...because we're playing it...during a Halloween Spooktacular concert series. Somehow it sounds more like an April Fools' joke or something Garrison Keillor would've thought up than something scary or ominous: Ralph Vaughan Williams wrote a tuba concerto. 'Cause of course, that's the first person who comes to mind when I think "tuba concerto."
But actually, it's grown on me quite a lot. Upon watching the clips below for the first time, I kept thinking "I don't have the hair to play the tuba." Also, "That tuba looks really heavy." My arms are too puny to play that instrument.
The first movement makes me glad I play the violin. The second movement sounds the most like Vaughan Williams to me (though all of the movements have his fingerprints on them), and I think I like it the most. The third movement sounds the most like a movie score to me. Also, the third movement is pretty fast, and I'm again glad I don't play the tuba. (Although the violin part is also fast and full of accidentals, so maybe I'm not glad I play the violin? And would just rather listen to the piece instead of playing it in any capacity.) Anyway, it's all kind of entertaining. I can't wait to actually perform the piece with our soloist.
To help you believe that it really does exist (yes, Virginia, like Santa Claus and those cute M&Ms), you can check it all out right here for your listening enjoyment, courtesy of them thar' youtubes and some pretty nifty musicians:

No comments:
Post a Comment