10.09.2011

Scandahoovians and Cooking

Internet,

If a person were to watch New Scandinavian Cooking with [insert name here], that person might get a few impressions. The first of which would be that there are absolutely no indoor kitchens in all of Scandinavia. And that Scandinavian cooks' entire list of main ingredients consists of white fish, dill or fennel, "the olive oil of the north" (i.e., heavy cream), and lingonberries.

I have to admit to being highly entertained by this PBS offering. I mean, where else in one short episode can you see a Norwegian guy 1) use an axe to cut dense, possibly too-nutritious bread (I mean, really? An axe? That might be a sign that it's too "healthy"), 2) milk a cow directly into a blender (apparently they don't have milk pails in Scandinavia, to go with their lack of indoor food prep space) in order to make a really fresh milk shake, and 3) pick whatever green thing that happens to be growing in the ground directly next to him at any given time to use as seasoning?

I would postulate that no where else could you possibly get all of this jam-packed into 27 stilted, unscripted minutes. And it is delightful. And I say this even though I don't think I'd particularly care to eat some of what they make. (I was, though, intrigued by what the Norwegian guy kept calling "caramel cheese." Must try this, whatever it is, exactly!) It's just that entertaining. Check it out, Internet.

xoxo,
Minny LinnEy

No comments: