11.12.2005

a fleecer I am not

I finally joined the majority of my friends and learned how to play Texas Hold 'Em tonight (or last evening, I should say since it's 2am now). The one time I played poker prior to this evening I was about 13 years old, and trust me, nothing stuck. This time around, I found it to be greatly entertaining and plan to play again sometime soon. Never fear, however: I shan't be rope-a-doping anyone (as my father would say) in the foreseeable future for I must confess to winning several hands quite cluelessly. For instance, once I had a pair of queens and didn't even realize I had a flush.

and talk about luck! The kicker of the evening for me was when I bet 100,000 (of what, I still don't know because we weren't playing for $$$, yet we still tacked on lots of zeroes to the denominations to make us feel better, I suppose - I started thinking in terms of condiments: mayo, mustard, catsup and blue cheese, each correlating to the chip color; or else there is the Mexican food theme...sour cream, cheese, salsa and blue corn chips) and had the perfect cards for a straight on both ends and lost to 4 sevens. How unlucky was that? (And no, I sincerely doubt cheating was involved.) But all in all, not a bad showing. The only thing I missed was the little section of the screen dedicated to percentages when you're watching tournaments on tv.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds about my luck playing after Jon and Sally's wedding with Jon's brothers. Sheesh. I lost hands on everything from trips and straights to a full house. Fun stuff, huh? Hope things are going well for you otherwise!