11.02.2005

Poll Results: Halloween Costumes

The poll was a quick one this week. In light of the fact that it's no longer October, I figured it would be high time to remove it. A poll with a holiday theme that sticks around too long is kind of like Christmas lights sagging from the rooftop in March: a bit sad. Derelict and decrepit, this, too, should be put away.

With a majority of the vote, people would rather dress up as Willy Wonka, a la Johnny Depp, for Halloween. There was one lone vote for Martha Stewart, but the White Sox and Harriet Miers were all apparently last week's news. I'm kind of curious if anyone actually knew who the Crusher was - if you did, you still didn't vote for him. (Feel free to comment if you actually understood that reference. Also, feel free to comment if you have a great poll idea. I don't put a whole lot of thought into these things, as I'm sure you've noticed, so I could stand to do with a suggestion or two. What burning question would you like anonymous strangers to answer?)

The new poll is from television, and is definitely not a new concept. With criminalists and forensic experts taking over our tv's (at least until all the networks get their satires up and running, or whatever the new trend will be, to replace them), which kind of genre from the land of fictional cop would you rather be? If network programming were any indication (and it seems possible since much of it appears to be very loosely based on real life and the current scientific trends), you can help solve crimes in all sorts of interesting ways, using all sorts of professions. Doctors (& police officers), Lawyers (& officers of the law), Criminalists (& cops). You name it. So. Which would you want to play? (Or maybe you've been so inspired by them that you're going to pursue that career in real life? Can't say I know anyone personally who has chosen a career based on a tv show, so that'd be a new experience.)

Here are your choices, with a randomly selected example of each: would you rather be a doctor/M.E. (Crossing Jordan), a criminalist (CSI:someplace), a lawyer (Law & Order:pick any version), a mathematician (Numb3rs:apparently 3 is lucky or unlucky or something), a high school student/P.I. (Veronica Mars: female Magnum in the making), or just a plain old cop (Cold Case)?

Caveat: I am not recommending any of these particular shows. In fact, I cannot even say I've seen all of them or watch them on a regular basis. I only mean them to be examples of what you think it might be interesting to do at the same time as you fictionally solve/fight crimes. If you have a better suggestion on how to fight crime (even if it's only comicbook superheroes), feel free to comment. Or come up with your own poll question. Send it in.

No comments: