11.11.2005

Blustery November

My theories are flawed. Well, one of them is, at any rate. Remember that whole rant about leaves and that I was done with them? And that my theory of the wind blowing them all away would never happen?

Alas, it's true. My theory can never really happen. We had quite a gusty day earlier this week, with very strong winds that lasted for nearly 24 hours. Granted, most of our leaves had already been raked and bagged, but it might have worked. Our neighbor (the recycling neighbor of previous tales) had not yet raked all her leaves; I cannot fault her for this since she was in Amsterdam on vacay until yesterday. What Kevin said in his comment turned all too true: the blustery winds of November blew all her leaves into our yard.

The fault with my theory is that I had not factored in the fence. It would have worked beautifully without the fence! All of them would have been blown into oblivion, and I would not be sitting here writing about this subject. You see, we have a fence on one side of our backyard. Based on wind direction, this fence is not on the side that would keep the leaves out of the yard (the south side), but on the side that keeps the leaves in our yard (the north side). This is a serious flaw. But it's not our fence, so I can't just go rip it down; it belongs to the other neighbors, the ones on the north side. Besides, I probably wouldn't rip down a fence just to remedy a two-week per annum situation. And also, the wind might blow the opposite direction next year, and all my problems will be solved!

The good part is that at least all the leaves are neatly lined up along the fence and not scattered about the entire yard. Bah! Who am I kidding? The weathermen are predicting snow on Tuesday, and in the off-chance that it sticks, I won't be able to see the leaves any more, so who cares?

No comments: