4.01.2010

A tale of a bike and a trip to Alaska

Oh, Internet. Only I would commit to biking through Alaska's Kenai Peninsula for a week this summer when I haven't been on one (bike, not peninsula) in, oh, 15 years, or something like that. So I decided to buy one and reintroduce myself to the whole concept of two-wheeled transportation (and not the segway type, either). I mean, why not? I already have gotten way too comfortable wearing spandex. True, one of the reasons I moved out of my old neighborhood was because the cyclists were driving me nuts, but I won't ever be like Them.

So, I'm currently testing out a friend's old bike (since she's upgraded for triathlon purposes), and it's absolutely a dream to ride. This morning was the first attempt, and although it needs new tires, it's beautiful and light and wicked fast compared to what I used to ride when I was a kid. I still need to be properly fitted, but I'm pretty sure that B.B.'s Trek will do the trick, and really: Why did I not get a bike years ago? It's terribly fun and I can tell it will be addictive, like rowing.

(Only I still say you won't find me riding a bike in the middle of winter in a snowstorm at midnight like all those crazy Uptowners.)

No comments: