4.20.2010

They say if you don't show up, you'll get drafted into doing stuff by those who do show up.

Hello, Internet.

I'm here to say that while that may be true (if you don't show up, you'll be drafted as a delegate or be put on some committee or be given the job no one else wants to do - by those who did show up), it goes the other way, too. If you do show up, you're just as likely to get drafted into doing stuff.

For example, I showed up at the annual boat club meeting Sunday night, and now I'm on the board.

I'm afraid to not show up at different stuff, 'cause at least if I go, I'll have an idea what they're getting me to do, but now I'm just as worried about showing up to do stuff. (I mean, this happened back in February at our precinct caucuses and conventions and such, and I kept getting elected as a delegate or an alternate anyway...)

Oh, well, the board won't be so bad. I've heard their meetings are usually short, only 10 of them each year, and there's food sometimes.

No comments: