3.04.2010

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Similarly, McDonald's won't make you fat. You eating too much at McDonald's will make you fat.

Leave it to Minnesota to go the opposite direction of the rest of the country:

Effort to tighten Minnesota's gun law getting folks riled up. A bill would require a background check on anyone who buys a firearm at a gun show.

From Virginia to Arizona, federal and state gun laws are loosening everywhere from national parks to Amtrak trains.

But in St. Paul, a proposal that would send Minnesota in the opposite direction is headed toward its first hearing Friday -- a bill requiring background checks on the purchaser of any firearm sold at a gun show.

Even while Minnesota is doing this and other states are loosening their guns laws, the Supreme Court has given an indication it will move to strike down U.S. cities' outright ban on guns...

What is it about Minnesotans? Why this need to be different than the rest of the country? Personally, I have theory. Minnesotans want to be known and liked by other "more important" people - i.e., people and politicians of the east/west coasts. Too many activists and politicians here want to be liked by the "popular" kids. One way they think they'll get noticed is if they're the "best" at everything. Get real. Politicians of Minnesota: we are the Midwest. Passing laws to make the east or west coasts notice us as the front runner of whatever it is you're pushing will not make them notice us. We are and will continue to be flyover country in their eyes. Embrace that. I have, and so have a lot of other people who live here in the Midwest specifically because we wouldn't be able to take the insanity that is the rest of the country. Not that I even mind being "flyover" territory - in fact, I really relish being unknown to the whacko parts of the country. I have enough self esteem to not care what they think, and on top of that, why would I want to be the best at stupid? I'd rather not be known for passing stupid laws and electing even dumber politicians.

OK, back to the gun thing. Do I believe that people need to exercise caution with their firearms? Yes. Do I believe you should leave them lying around where little kids can reach them? Of course not. Do I believe that those who abide by gun laws and registration are the ones out there causing all the violence and crimes? No. Do I believe we have a right to bear arms under the Second Amendment? Yes. 'Nough said.

Along a similar front as the gun front...

Anger over Weight Watchers' endorsement of McDonald's
'Diet-friendly' menu to roll out in New Zealand
Nutritionists say tie-up does not promote healthy eating

McDonald's in and of itself will not make you fat. Is it healthy? Probably not. But will it make you fat? If you eat too much of it, sure. But that's the rub: it's you who eats it and chooses how much of it you'll eat. McDonald's is not force feeding you. You choose to go there, and when you do, it's your responsibility to not eat too much.

Sorry, but call me a person who thinks personal responsibility should not be the exception to the rule - it IS the rule. If you are a personally responsible individual and things still go wrong, then you can come talk to me about whatever ails you.

Thus ends my ranting for the morning: enjoy anonymity, get over yourselves, don't try to be the "best" in the country if it means you're the stupidest, and exercise a little personal responsibility.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Amen....I realize self-control is hard to come by but it sure bears government control. Love your title.

akalinear said...

In the interests of full disclosure, I do have to admit that after writing this yesterday morning, my dinner last night consisted of a McD's Shamrock Shake (size = medium), consumed in a committee that wouldn't end. =)