9.25.2005

more work for me

I got a phone call today. It was from my section leader from the Minnetonka Symphony. She asked me if I was interested in playing for the first violin section on a permanent basis (having visited them over the summer). I told her I'd give it a shot. Of course, the gig starts tonight, and we're having sectionals, so that means I'll be sight reading the new part way up squeaky high with only the other violinists listening. ouch! (I really try to find some sort of excuse to get out of sectionals because they tend to be painful, but at least this time I'll have a reason for sounding terrible!) It should be fun, and it's quite an honor to be asked to move on up; it's almost like being asked to leave the kid table and join the adult table during Thanksgiving dinner (just kidding). I will have to practice, though, which is a new twist on the orchestral experience (what, with me having been quite a slacker on occasion).

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh WOW, Linnea! Congratulations!!!! Being married to a fan of classical music and a gifted musician in his own right, I have been made *well aware* of the honor. That's awesome! Tell us how it all played (har, har) out!

akalinear said...

It was not horrible, or even too stressful, and my sight reading seems to have improved with all of my extra playing over the last year. Last night's playing was actually kinda fun. yay! =)

Mark said...

ok,ok, consider yourself lucky that this has not happened before, but my patience has officially come to an end. you are the last friend accepted in the first violin of symphony section of friends. there are no more vacancies. i have too many of them.

rehearsals run their lives. i will not compete with anymore wild stick waiving lunatics for control of my friends lives.

IF ANYONE OUT THERE WOULD LIKE TO BE MY FRIEND THEY ARE ON NOTICE THAT FIRST VIOLIN IN THE SYMPHONY WILL HAVE TO BE SACRIFICED. I will accept no more of your kind.

return home gnome said...

woHO! LinnEa! Go for it! That's exciting.