9.01.2005

On Surfing

I love to watch surfing. Don't get me wrong: I like to actively participate in most sports, but as you might have guessed, there really is no good location for surfing in Minnesota. Otherwise, I'd take it up and follow surfing. Alas: I am limited to watching it for now. (In light of most recent events down south, namely catastrophic Katrina, I won't even joke about earthquakes or hurricanes making Minnesota an ocean-side state; I am rooting for neither. Instead, I think I'll just wait until I vacation somewhere with waves in their water.)

So it is with great anticipation that the ASP World Tour continues this week with the WCT men competing in Asia at Hebara Beach, Chiba, for the 3rd annual Quiksilver Pro Japan. I love Kelly Slater, even with all his foibles, so I hope he stays on top of the rankings. There are a lot of great surfers to watch, including those fun Hobgood brothers and a host of hottie Australians. As for the WCT women, I hope that Chelsea Georgeson moves up from #2 to #1, but the women don't compete again until October. (The WCT is different from the WQS - the women are competing on the WQS this weekend in Huntington Beach, CA, on which one might also consider keeping tabs.)

No comments: