And obviously I know nothing about tennis...or better yet, warming up. My friend Emily and I had just started to play, and basically I was still in the warm-up phase when I landed funny on my right foot while returning a ball. I wasn't going after it hard, I wasn't jumping that high, I wasn't twisting weirdly, nothing. I landed funny. My ankle didn't twist, nothing like that - just came down at the perfectly wrong angle to make this the shoe I will be wearing for the next few days: 



It was a total freak thing, and I had just been telling Emily that I was not sure tennis was a good sport for me since I'm so bad at it, today wasn't going to be a lesson in how one plays tennis, and that I should just stick with something I know better...like rowing. And boom. This happened.
Within about 1 minute, 47.3 seconds, my ankle bone swelled up to about twice it's natural size until it looked like my ankle ate a tennis ball from off the court. Other than about 20 minutes of nausea and a bit of pain (that I'm not taking anything for), I was and am still in good spirits. I refused the crutches and would rather hobble around without added armpit pain since I can walk in my little boot thing.
For all you rower friends out there who read this, my doctor and x-ray tech told me I still might be able to row in the regatta a couple weekends from now, and I might even be able to practice lightly by the end of this week. We'll see. I'm praying hard that this is the case.
Also, I will not be playing tennis again any time soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment