Internet, if you were a person, I'd tell you to go see the Louvre exhibit at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. But since you aren't a person, I need you to help me tell other people to go see it. You see, it's a very well-done exhibit filled with some beautiful art: some paintings, some drawings, some sculpture, some other stuff. It includes all sorts of interesting pieces that have helped define what a "masterpiece" is to different generations. Even the forgeries they've included in the exhibit are beautiful works of art (and also thought to be masterpieces before they were uncovered as frauds). I liked it very much when I went there with some of the fam yesterday, especially because I learned stuff (like what repoussé and chasing are) and got to see some interesting and intelligent art. I also enjoyed the two corresponding exhibits (one on what the MIA curators believe to be masterpieces, with one of my favorite pieces from that collection here, and the other an exhibit showing all the different pieces that Vermeer used in 1668 in his painting The Astronomer - let me tell you: it's kind of cool to see an astrolabe up close and personal). So, Internet, tell your [real, human] friends that they should go see it: on now at the MIA until January 10, 2010.
<
Antoine-Louis Barye, French, bronze Lion with Serpent, 1833-1836
>Jean-Baptiste-Jules Klagmann, French, silver ewer, ca. 1848 (example of repoussé and chasing)


No comments:
Post a Comment