12.07.2009

Weekend in Review: My current take on galas, colds, and books

Dear Internet,

The 2009 bow ball was a lot of fun on Saturday night. Food, music (really loud! too loud!), laughter, and tons of talking. I already had a sore throat, but managed to nearly lose my voice as well. I am sad to report that after bidding like mad on a dozen silent auction items, I was informed that I had won in none of my attempts.

Here is what I looked like on Saturday night after a hefty dose of alka seltzer cold medicine. True, I didn't find anything white to wear with my red ball skirt, but I think I still looked okay, albeit in not quite boathouse colors.


So, Internet, remember back when I said that it might be fun to go back to grade school each fall? Well, I've changed my mind. My roommate keeps getting sick, and then passes it on to me, and I blame it all on the germ-infested 8-year-olds she hangs out with on a regular basis. I have spent the better part of 2 1/2 months with some sort of cold, cough or general achy feeling. I'm SO over it. Well, I will be SO OVER IT once I get rid of this sinus headache, stuffy nose and general malaise I'm feeling right now. I pray that my cough does not come back.

Speaking of snot factories...I played The Messiah last night with a local chorale, and now I'm going to be floating around somewhere on cable access playing my violin in a cold medicine-induced stupor, intermittently trying to sniffle in a genteel manner. On the mannerly front, I don't think I was very successful. As for the rest of it, though, I did manage to get through the entire concert, and did my best to snort infrequently whilst not facing any camera or in sight of any poor audience member, a challenging task to be sure.

Since I've done very little but convalesce since Friday (minus gala and concert), I've pretty much slept away the last several days. However, in my more lucid moments, I have been reading two books simultaneously on the same person (which makes for much better confusion and weirder dreams):

Let me tell you: thus far (which admittedly is not far, since I keep falling asleep in the middle of things), I very much like Amity Shlaes' take on all things Great Depression, and appreciate the differences between FDR and Churchill during WWII (and isn't it fitting that today is Pearl Harbor Day? It makes it easier to remember something if the anniversary of the event happens while you're reading about it).

It has been quite interesting to see all the different aspects of FDR through two completely different crises in a couple of decades of American history. Let's just say I wish FDR had remembered The [real] Forgotten Man, and that I prefer Winston to Franklin. I have the feeling I'll still feel that way by the time I'm finished with the books, no matter how much cold medicine I've ingested.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Hey Linnea - I really liked Forgotten Man too - I read it earlier this year. I hadn't realized (known?) that's when the commerce clause took off and the feds went crazy. It seemed very timely, even though it was so long ago.

However, her writing style irritated me. Doesn't it remind you of a rambling personal narrative? I was a third of the way through the book before I finally felt comfortable with all the people she was referring to. Before then, I was all "who was that again?" What did you think?

akalinear said...

Sally - thus far, I think I like her style because it's so easy to read. And I have to confess, I did a lot of flipping back and forth with the other book - Franklin and Winston - trying to figure out who on earth the people were, so by comparison, The Forgotten Man was a breeze (plus, I'd already read several of the same names in the Franklin & Winston book, so I was already familiar with them). I should write a proper review when I finally finish them both.