Dear Internet,
I hurt. My whole body is in pain. There are several reasons for this, all of which I'm going to list for you because I know you're just dying to have me rant for a moment. (Dying, Internet! I know it's true.)
1. I just played 4 concerts in 30 hours this weekend. The Messiah, Bach Mass in B minor (twice) and the Nutcracker. Let me tell you, Internet. I'm mentally and physically exhausted just thinking about this, let alone the actual playing of all those thousands of notes (oh, how those little black notes reminded me of swarms of bees; it's no wonder I broke out in a sweat each concert). Between the practice (of which there was little, let's be honest; at this point, if you can't play the music, there's no hope of cramming it in at the last minute), calls (rehearsal/warm up right before the concerts) and the actual performances, that was, oh, 14 hours of playing in 2 days? Yeah, something like that. I don't think I'll be able to lift my arms again in the near future.
On a humorous side note, I heard the word "camouflage" sung in a classical piece of music, not once, but twice (in a piece called "Midwinter Chill"). Also, in another humorous side note, I saw my conductor play some bongo drums to accompany a choir, and right in the middle of everything, he said "I can't keep a beat!" out loud. I laughed at that. Well played, Mr. Conductor Man. Well played.
2. It's snowing. You'd think this wouldn't be cause for pain in and of itself, but alas, my foot and ankle now suffer through more aches and pains with the whole weather thing. Weird.
3. Remember those tights I love so much? I changed my mind. I hate 'em. Well, I hate them when I do not have shoes on, because I've discovered they're very, very slippery, and because they are so horrid, I sort of fell down a few stairs at my parents' house over the weekend. (More like slid down them very ungracefully.)
So the moral of the story, Internet, is to say "no" to a lot of people in December, not get yourself injured in the first place so weather changes don't affect how you feel, and wear shoes everywhere.
But was it worth it? Yes, I'll think, "Oh, how exciting to play a new piece/ballet/choral work/whatever!" next time someone asks me, and the 11 intervening months from now until next Christmas will ensure I've forgotten all about the pain. And of course I'll probably continue athletic activity in the future. And since I can't wear shoes to bed, I'll probably go shoeless in the near future, too.
Lessons learned? None.
I hurt. My whole body is in pain. There are several reasons for this, all of which I'm going to list for you because I know you're just dying to have me rant for a moment. (Dying, Internet! I know it's true.)
1. I just played 4 concerts in 30 hours this weekend. The Messiah, Bach Mass in B minor (twice) and the Nutcracker. Let me tell you, Internet. I'm mentally and physically exhausted just thinking about this, let alone the actual playing of all those thousands of notes (oh, how those little black notes reminded me of swarms of bees; it's no wonder I broke out in a sweat each concert). Between the practice (of which there was little, let's be honest; at this point, if you can't play the music, there's no hope of cramming it in at the last minute), calls (rehearsal/warm up right before the concerts) and the actual performances, that was, oh, 14 hours of playing in 2 days? Yeah, something like that. I don't think I'll be able to lift my arms again in the near future.
On a humorous side note, I heard the word "camouflage" sung in a classical piece of music, not once, but twice (in a piece called "Midwinter Chill"). Also, in another humorous side note, I saw my conductor play some bongo drums to accompany a choir, and right in the middle of everything, he said "I can't keep a beat!" out loud. I laughed at that. Well played, Mr. Conductor Man. Well played.
2. It's snowing. You'd think this wouldn't be cause for pain in and of itself, but alas, my foot and ankle now suffer through more aches and pains with the whole weather thing. Weird.
3. Remember those tights I love so much? I changed my mind. I hate 'em. Well, I hate them when I do not have shoes on, because I've discovered they're very, very slippery, and because they are so horrid, I sort of fell down a few stairs at my parents' house over the weekend. (More like slid down them very ungracefully.)
So the moral of the story, Internet, is to say "no" to a lot of people in December, not get yourself injured in the first place so weather changes don't affect how you feel, and wear shoes everywhere.
But was it worth it? Yes, I'll think, "Oh, how exciting to play a new piece/ballet/choral work/whatever!" next time someone asks me, and the 11 intervening months from now until next Christmas will ensure I've forgotten all about the pain. And of course I'll probably continue athletic activity in the future. And since I can't wear shoes to bed, I'll probably go shoeless in the near future, too.
Lessons learned? None.
xoxo,
Minny LinnEy
aka "Just call me Shoeless Joe Jackson"

No comments:
Post a Comment