8.05.2005
musical strangeness
It's odd. I've always been a pianist, first and foremost. Violin definitely played second fiddle in my musical life. I've played piano longer, competed with piano, etc., etc. All of a sudden, all I'm playing is violin. I've been in a few orchestras lately, which is always nice, but now I'm getting calls to play in weddings. And they pay me $$$. This is new. Not that I haven't played in weddings before, but I have never been asked this frequently. Solo violin, quartets, all of that. Thank you, Bethlehem orchestra and others for your referrals. I appreciate it. For you nicely engaged couples (and your $), I would be happy to play my violin. It's nice to finally have a return on that investment. (though it is nice to just be able to play, all musicians like a good tangible return, too.) I used to teach piano lessons and that got me the tangible return, plus warm fuzzies inside. Now I can say the same for violin, and prove to my parents those lessons were not in vain (though the orchestras should have proved that to them, except for the paid part). And good thing brides usually prefer about the same repertoire; I would really dislike having to learn all new music for every single wedding. Now if only I could get them to quit requesting the world's most overplayed wedding piece (and piece in general), Pachelbel's Canon...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment