11.03.2009

Civics: 101

Yes, indeed. I re-registered in my new city, and voted today. Sure, there's a mayoral election today, and a bunch of people are running for school board (mostly DFLers - I do live in the land of liberals known as St. Paul, after all - and a few crazies; I managed to find two for whom I could vote in good conscience), but what I really cared about was the IRV. I don't like instant runoff voting, at all. So I voted mainly because of that: No, thank you.

Also, I really hate to say this (but I am rather jaded, at this point). In reading this latest piece that says Minnesota is the most civically active state in the country, I would throw out there that, based on my own experiences here, this does not necessarily mean that Minnesota is the most civically knowledgeable state. Just sayin'. (Um, some of you may recall last year's debacle when the whole country realized that a lot of people in this state can't figure out how to fill in a circle on an election ballot, let alone issues like knowing the difference between state and national representation, i.e., "I'm sorry, sir, state senators do not live in Washington, D.C., nor do they work there.")

Also: if I ever attend a protest, this is the sign I want to carry. It will really help me prove my point, and how passionate I am about it.

No comments: