now some would find it odd that at the age of 24, I have finally gotten my first pets. Granted, I actually commandeered them, but still. After a week, I now consider them my own. Too bad they all died.
My dad put in a small pond complete with fountain and tiny waterfall next to the new brick patio in our backyard. Well, of course, we have to have goldfish! It's a pond! I took them over and cared for them, if you call "caring" dumping in food once in a while and staring at them, waiting for them to do something already!
It's really too bad about the dying part, and at such an alarming rate. Some fatalities were due to a chlorine issue (this was before I took over), and then others suffered a nocturnal visitor, 'cause I know nothing I did could cause a fish to die in such a way. Think "torn asunder" and you'll get the idea. Others have simply disappeared.
Now I know what you're thinking, because it (obviously) occurred to me as well: "of *course*! they've been abducted. by aliens. No? well, then what about evolution? they teach that in the public schools these days, you know" Au contraire, my dear friends. One must not believe everything in one's imagination or Steven Spielburg's imagination or in public school's imagination.
when said and done, either by disappearance or partial disappearance due to aforementioned asundering, this must be the handiwork of a deer-sized rodent (trust me: I've seen this raccoon and it's not small).
Out of 24 goldfish, 3 somehow outsmarted the nocturnal creature until Friday. Since then, all have perished, and thus ends my first foray into pet ownership. this, all in the course of a few short weeks.
My next attempt will begin a bit later this week, and the experiment shall go on. At least until winter, when they'll all freeze. What's the point, then, you ask, if they're going to die anyway? Why general amusement for all, of course! (and it helps keep me sane during these dull days of studying.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment