Next week, I'll breathe a sigh of relief. I'll be able to sleep. I'll have time to do my laundry (it's quite a large pile now and will take some effort). I won't have to write practice essays for hours on end. it'll be nice. It might take a couple of days to truly appreciate these details, but I'll get there.
what is it about libraries and their air conditioning? Yesterday, I went over to one of my two usual locales to get some peace and quiet for a few hours. Apparently there is some mandate in a large number of buildings that the hotter it is outside, the more freezing the air must be within the building. Hennepin County library locations are no exception to this rule. In fact, they take it to new levels, what with vents placed everywhere and the no escaping of the cold air rushing at you like hurricane-force gales. I lasted three essays (almost three hours) before I had to run out to my car to warm up on the ride home. (It was again in the 90's yesterday with high humidity; my car had been parked out there in the sun for three hours, and with the weird- looking clouds ominously above, no ventilation. that should describe to you my hypothermic state if I enjoyed the leather seats burning my flesh off.)
Today, I'll go back to the coffee shop. My favorite shop is my favorite shop merely because they are conveniently two blocks from my house and they serve coffee. Ah, the joys of Caribou. The only problem is that they tend to play music there, and lately it's been the old jazz that I really like. Ok, let's face it - most music distracts me, but i'm especially distracted by music I like. I get too involved with listening to it. However, I've been studying there now for a while and figure if I can take a practice essay through the music, I should be able to stand anything the WI people throw at me.
In reality, the air conditioning at the library and the music at 'Bou has been good; I am testing myself to see if I will work through distractions and just do what I need to do. I am also testing that "you are allowed one cup of beverage" rule when I'm at the coffee shop.
7.21.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment