7.01.2005

summer sleeping

The last week or two, the dewpoint has been hovering around seventy, which means high humidity. Add to that some high temps (day and night), and it makes for some steamy conditions. I love summer, don't get me wrong. It's just that I love to sleep with my windows open in the summer and fall, let the breezes in while nightsounds filter through the screens.

When it's so muggy, though, it's not always possible to leave the windows open; one's options are more limited. Air conditioning on? Too cold. or Too sterile. Windows open? Miserable. Fan on? ok, let's just stir any of those above-named conditions around whilst I toss and turn. Even when the air is on, I just don't sleep as well. It's like my body and mind know that it's humid, and therefore I act strangely, even in sleep.

Three nights in a row this week, in my quasi-conscious state, I found myself toying with windows, blinds, fans and air conditioning. I also found myself having strange dreams, and the littlest things annoyed me. Like I found myself attacking a hang nail with a tweezers at 3 am, just because it had apparently bothered me so much as to awake me. It was horrible. Normally I'm a bit odd, but not nearly to this extent.

But then, relief. *sigh* Yesterday a cooler, drier air front came through. And all was well. Last night I didn't find myself wandering around with a cup looking for water...breathing air so thick with moisture, I really didn't need the cup in the first place...rummaging around for pillow cases that surely *must* be cooler than the ones I was using...none of that. It was blissful, and I shall remain happy now. At least until the next system blows in some humid drafts from which there is no escaping and in which we will all drown once more. It is only July 1st, after all. Many more summer nights yet to experience.

No comments: