7.02.2005

a perfectly lovely day

Because it was so nice yesterday afternoon, I decided to be like other Minnesotans living in the Twin Cities and hit the outdoors. We mainly burrow in and hibernate during the winter, with only the few random occasions out; like skiing or grocery shopping. Then when our few precious moments of summer come, we converge on any and all available lakes and parks and tan our pasty whiteness away, bask in summer's warmth, only to have our skin cells return to its albino essence a very short time later.

I had lunch at Zeno in Uptown with an old friend, and then we walked around Lake Calhoun. True, Calhoun is more of a meat market than some of the other lakes around here. Calhoun: where an innocent stroll is not just that but instead is a constant search for beautiful people to hit on. (Did I mention that the sunlight has a tendency to blind? I know they say love can blind a person, but I really don't think that's the situation here...) But the running commentary found through the Uptown and Calhoun area does tend to cause great amusement. Like the man who said, "Wow, it's Super Woman" to me. I'm really not sure to what he was referring, exactly. It's not like I was wearing a cape yesterday - although that wouldn't be uncommon in uptown, alas. And then there was the guy biking around while holding a small sign that read "Does size really matter?" and I wanted to ask him "size of what?" Are we talking McDonald's and overweight people, here, or size of wallet and house? Because it's Uptown, I'm sure it was something politically correct, like the number of troops still in Iraq and those who have perished in the conflict or *something* like that, but didn't really want to get into it that badly. maybe that was the whole point - to stir up conversation, some of which may be controversial.

Gorgeous weather does tend to improve my mood; it makes me feel slightly less controversial than normal. So I meandered around the lake, enjoying good food and conversation with a friend, and wiled away a beautiful sunny Friday afternoon in Minneapolis.

No comments: